Market Lane Coffee was my choice this morning for a relaxing start to the day. Sipping my strong cappuccino I indulged in my latest book by Eckhart Tolle, New Earth. I have only just started but it already has me intrigued and wanting to learn more. He speaks on how to let go of your ego and the need to constantly identify yourself with the things you own. The ego is your mind telling you who you are and what your suppose to do. Eckhart explains that we must learn to observe our thoughts and realise that we are not what goes on in our mind all day. You are not what your mind tells you.
The chapter I am currently on speaks about how constant complaining is your ego believing the story inside your head. For the next week try and catch yourself complaining or thinking negative thoughts; which is the first step in becoming a more concious person. For those who find themselves attached to material items, try and think about what they actually do for you. If you didn’t have them would you be any less of a person?
I am going to leave you there with some food for thought… Carly Jensen xo
When the sun starts to shine the people of Melbourne flock to the beach to enjoy the glimpse of hot weather that is upon them. One major hot spot situated right on St Kilda Beach is the very cool restaurant/beach bar called Republica. People were dressed to the nines in their floral jump suits, revealing singlets and the hair and makeup were flawless. If you are looking to people watch and be among the elite crowd of Melbourne, this is definitely the spot for you. Everyone sipped cocktails in the sunshine and enjoyed the beach vibes that Republica emitted. The atmosphere reminded me of a day on a beach in California, the vibes were extremely feel good and carefree which is exactly what you want on the first warm day. For those looking for a fun way to spend your summer days and nights, Republica is definitely the place for you. You can watch the sunset while sipping delicious strawberry margaritas and relax as long as you feel like. So my advice for some fun in the sun is definitely spending a day at Republica on St Kilda Beach.
Carly Jensen xo
Some people find peace within the chaos of life while some people find their happiness once it is calm and relaxed. For me I find both aspects of life important but to become calm for myself I must practice relaxation regularly. For people who suffer from anxiety and even those who just need to slow the pace of their life down take these tips and you will be on the right track to simplicity. Have you ever had too many options in front of you and not known what one to choose? This is because the mind actually doesn’t like to have too many options. It causes more stress and anxiety to have to figure out which option you would regret the least. If your choices were less it would make it simpler, which is why I believe that we must simplify our lives as much as possible. Less is more; you don’t need hundreds of materialistic items to bring you happiness. You can actually practice your own happiness. It comes from within, so simplify your life, find your calm and conquer each day. Here are a few things I do that bring me happiness and they are all quite simple:
1) Drink Tea
3) Going For Walks
6) Bubble Baths
Namaste – Carly Jensen
Photo taken from Pinterest
Why Meditate? Now I know you are already thinking this post is going to be about turning into Buddha and moving to Tibet to become a monk. Wrong. Meditation is something that can benefit everyone’s life and help de-stress you without spending any money. Does that not sound great? Becoming a calmer and more relaxed person without spending a cent! The benefits of meditation are endless and the longer you do it the better you get. You will have more energy, be at a zen state of mind and will learn to control your thoughts. Once you can control your thoughts better you will have more control over your own life. Steps to meditation:
1) Find an area, maybe in your room or somewhere quiet that you can sit on the ground, legs crossed and be comfortable. I like to sit on a pillow so it feels more comfortable.
2) Turn off the lights and connect your thumb and index finger together over top of your knees. You can also put your hands in prayer over your heart, whatever works best for you.
3) Shut your eyes and clear your mind of everything. Try your best not to think of anything or move during your meditation.
4) Start out by doing 10 minutes of meditation a day, once you get good up it to 20 minutes and then eventually to 30 minutes. I’m still at 10 minutes a day and it still seems like a long time. Enjoy your meditation since it is time all to yourself for a short period of time in a day.
Namaste – Carly Jensen
Photo taken from Pinterest
We all live extremely busy lives. Sometimes a whole day passes by us without even realizing it. We go through mixed emotions in a day, fast paced times then to slower times and it is hard to stop and just be happy to be alive. I was drinking my smoothie the other day and on the top of the lid it said “Smile.” It reminded me that no matter where I am or what I am doing it is never hard to take a deep breath and smile. Remind yourself that you are happy and lucky to be on this earth. A smile is a simple reminder to yourself showing you that you are grateful to have a heart that beats. Whether you are having a good or bad day, take 2 seconds out of your schedule to stop and smile. It will make you feel better and the best part of all is that smiling is contagious. You will be making others happy too.
Hallelujah it is Sunday. Sunday to me is the most relaxing day of the week. This is probably because I get to do nothing all day long which for me is perfect. We all have such busy lives and schedules it’s nice to have one day a week where you can relax and do absolutely nothing. I truly believe it is very important for everyone to learn to slow down and unwind. Even if it is just one day a week make sure you find time to relax and have “me time” as they call it. Now what are some things you can do with your relaxing Sunday?
1) Sleep – This one seems so simple but I think it is the most important. Why not take a day to sleep and relax. Whether you are up partying on your Friday and Saturday’s or taking it easy your body will probably thank you for letting it rest and rejuvenate.
2) Read – Grab your favorite book or magazine and lie in bed and read for a couple hours. If you are like me and love being on the computer, there are tons of online blogs and reading that you can do as well. Reading helps you disconnect and live in the present moment.
3) Listen to Music – I usually get all caught up on new music on Sunday so that I have good driving to work music for the rest of the week. Take an hour out of your day to put new music onto your IPod.
4) Go for a Walk – Yes that is correct I didn’t say run or go to the gym. Working out is awesome and a huge stress reliever but sometimes we put so much pressure on ourselves to look good and get in that daily workout that I think Sundays are perfect for going on a long walk to clear your mind. Walking is good exercise and helps you think clearly and figure out what you have to get done for the week.
5) Get a Coffee – This might be one of my favorite things to do on a Sunday. Grab a coffee in a cute little coffee shop and catch up with a friend. It is so relaxing and you get to express how you are feeling and what is going on in your life. Thank god for coffee and friends.